A handsome, double-fronted, red brick Victorian home with light-filled and generous accommodation offering far reaching country views.
The accommodation in brief comprises an entrance porch leading to the main entrance hall with stairs rising to the first floor and doors to the ground floor accommodation.
The dining room and lounge sit to the front of the property. The dining room has a large bay window and a feature fireplace.
The large and light sitting room spans the depth of the house from front to back with a feature fireplace, a large window looking out to the front and a door leading out to the rear garden as well as windows all along the western elevation.
The kitchen has a comprehensive range of floor standing and wall-mounted cupboards and drawers with windows on the east side allowing in the morning sun. There is a four-ring gas hob, eye level oven and combination microwave, integrated dishwasher, stainless steel one and a half sink with mixer tap over and an under counter fridge.
To the rear of the property is the garden room/rear lobby, this gives access to the utility room and the downstairs cloakroom that has a wash hand basin, low flush lavatory and a useful storage cupboard.
Just off the garden room is the rear boot room/utility room with further cupboards and drawers. There is ample space for white goods and plumbing for a washing machine. The gas-fired central heating boiler is also located here.
The ground floor accommodation is completed by the cellar which is a useful further storage space and has an external window.
The first-floor landing is a generous size and gives access to the bedroom and bathroom accommodation.
The master bedroom sits to the front of the property with large windows providing views to the front and is complemented by an en-suite wet room.
Bedroom two also sits to the front of the property with views out over the countryside, a range of built in cupboards and wardrobes and also a wash hand basin.
Bedroom three sits to the rear and has a range of built in cupboards and wardrobes and again views out over the garden and countryside beyond.
Bedroom four is the smallest room and is currently being used as a study.
The first-floor accommodation continues with a large family bathroom that has a low flush lavatory, a bidet, a wash hand basin built into a vanity unit, a panelled bath with shower over and also a separate shower cubicle and a window looking out over the garden.
The internal accommodation is completed by the loft which is accessed from the landing, providing a large roof space with potential for conversion into additional accommodation subject to planning permission and building regulations approval.
To the outside, the property is accessed from the roadside onto a gravel driveway that provides ample parking and a turning area, there is a detached double garage with an electric up and over door. The garden has been landscaped to provide entertaining areas, a pond, a lawned area and raised floral and shrub borders providing year-round interest.
Also, to the outside is a log shed and another room that would be ideal as a home office, a gym or in fact it could be integrated into the main house to provide additional accommodation. The existing owners ran a business from this space for 20 years.
John O'Gaunt is a small hamlet located in the heart of the rolling East Leicestershire countryside. The towns of Oakham and Melton with their shopping and transport facilities are less than 20 minutes away.
Head out of Oakham on the B640 towards Langham, proceed through the village and take the turning to the left onto Cold Overton Road. Proceed along this road until you reach the village of Somerby, take the second left upon entering the village onto the Burrough Road. This takes you to the village of Burrough on the Hill, continue on to Twyford Road, travel along this road for just over a mile and you will find Jubilee House on your right opposite the red post box.
SERVICES & COUNCIL TAX
The property is offered to the market with a modern water treatment plant & gas-fired central heating. Council Tax Band F.
HISTORY OF JUBILEE HOUSE
Jubilee House was built in the year of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1897, by a publican from Twyford called Mr Wesker. The house was originally built as a pub hence the large cellar. However, it failed to get a licence, because half a mile up the hill there was already a licenced establishment The John O'Gaunt Hotel, which also had stables, now converted to a large house. The owner of Jubilee House rented it out to a Mr Bert Drage, a noted horse dealer in the area, who built a range of stables, a hayloft and groom's quarters at the rear of the house, which were still used as stables until 2016. They have now been converted into a small house for the occupants of them main house in their retirement.
Why would there be need for 15/20 horse stalls and two drinking establishments in, what was then, a remote part of high Leicestershire? The answer for hunting, it was the epicentre of the best hunting country, not only in England, but possibly in the world, with it's rolling grassland and hawthorn hedges. Two of the most famous hunts, the Quorn and Cottesmore country boundaries meet at John O'Gaunt. In 1879 the LNR and GNR railway companies built a station opposite Jubilee House now long gone but there remains a spectacular 14 arch viaduct half a mile to the south. The stables were used for horses, brought by train in specially constructed carriages with accommodation for both horses, fodder and grooms. The hunters, mostly the gentry, aristocrats and rich from London and the South East, for a days hunting. They would always need two horses for the day. On Tuesdays and Fridays, the hunts can still regularly be seen in the area, but now reduced to hunting a pre-laid trail.
Why John O'Gaunt? There is a famous for covert about a mile to the south from which the station got its name. But why John O'Gaunt? In 1340 a Prince was born in Ghent, which was anglicised to John O'Gaunt. He became the 1st Duke of Lancaster and Earl of Leicester owning huge swathes of land in the county of Leicestershire and died at Leicester Castle in 1399 aged 58.
24 Catmos Street Oakham Rutland LE15 6HW
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 6:00pm
Saturday 9:00am to 4:00pm